Cities of the Gods
Mexico is culturally a true treasury. Minted by the ancient cultures of the Maya, Toltecs and Olmecs, as well as by the Aztecs and Spanish conquests, plenty of ruin-sites and temples from ancient times lie in this breathing holiday destination. In addition, the Fauna, Flora, natural landscapes & beaches in Mexico can compete with one of the most beautiful countries of this world.
Arrival Mexico City
1. Day: Arrival at the International Airport of Mexico City. A member of our staff will be waiting for you for transferring to your Hotel in the historical center of the city.
Overnight in Mexico City.
City Tour, Anthropological Museum, Xochimilco
2. Day: At the city tour, you will experience the pre-Hispanic culture visiting the Anthropological Museum and Temple Mayor, the colonial times visiting the main square (Zocalo), the government palace, the cathedral, the Post office building and the Palacio de Bellas Artes. After that, you will drive to the southern part of the city to the swimming gardens of Xochimilco, where you will enjoy a boat trip. On the drive, back you will visit the University UNAM and the colonial center of the city in Coyoacan area and Frida Kahlo Home.
Basilica of Guadalupe - Teotihuacan
3. Day: Today´s sightseeing starts with a visit of the most important sanctuary of the American continent called the “Basilica of Guadalupe”. Afterwards you will drive to the pre-Hispanic city Teotihuacan. At the height of its glory in about 100 years after Christ, Teotihuacan was the biggest metropolis of the western hemisphere with 240,000 inhabitants. The ceremony center with the Sun- and Moon-pyramid, as well as the street of the death covers 4km. The pyramids are so big that before their exposure the people thought that these where mountains.
Mexico City – Cacaxtla – Cholula – Puebla (142 km)
4. Day: This trip leads you over the mountains of Sierra Madre, by the volcanoes Popocatepetl and Iztaccihuatl to the highland of Puebla. You will visit the wall paintings of the archaeological site Cacaxtla. After a short drive, you arrive at the biggest pyramid of the world “Cholula”. Further, you will visit the church “Santa Maria Tonanzintla”, beautifully decorated by the ancient inhabitants during 12 years of work. Afterwards short drive to the church San Francisco, from where you will be able to enjoy a wonderful view on the volcanoes.
Overnight in Puebla.
Puebla – Oaxaca (242 km)
5. Day: Drive from Puebla to Oaxaca, through the barren mountains of Sierra Madre with its impressive cactus forests and spectacular views. In the afternoon, we will discover walking a detailed sightseeing tour of the historical center. The most important attractions are the regional museum, where are the treasure of Grave Nr. 7 of the archaeological site Monte Alban, the pedestrian zone with its colonial buildings, the cathedral, the market hall and the main square.
Overnight in Oaxaca
Monte Alban – San Bartolo Coyotepec – Oaxaca City
6. Day: Drive to Monte Alban, an impressive ruin-city on the mountaintop over Oaxaca, a former cult site of the Zapotecs. After a detailed sightseeing, drive to the closely located village San Bartolo Coyotepec, where the inhabitants have lived of the black clay processing artisanship for many generations. Drive back to Oaxaca City. In the afternoon, you will have the opportunity to explore the city by yourself.
Oaxaca City – Tule – Mitla – Mescal – Tehuantepec (277 km)
7. Day: Drive to Tule, where is located the biggest water-cupreous of America, with a circumference of 52m. Then the trip continues to the Mescal-distillery. Here you have the opportunity to observe and try the distilling of the Agave-liquor Mezcal. Very close to Teotitlan is located a village whose inhabitants are almost all related to each other and live of carpet waving following an ancient tradition. The trip continues to Mitla, the most important cult site of the Mixtecs. After a detailed sightseeing, the journey goes on to Tehuantepec.
Overnight in Tehuantepec, Oaxaca.
Tehuantepec – Sumidero Canyon – San Cristobal de las Casas (About 342 km)
8. Day: A wonderful drive over the mountains takes you to Chiapa de Corzo, where you will undertake a boat trip on the river Grijalva through the Sumidero Canyon, with its over 1,000 m high rock face. Besides the flora, with a bit of luck it is also possible to observe many types of birds and crocodiles. Afterwards the trip goes on to San Cristobal de las Casas. In the late afternoon, you will do a sightseeing of the city San Cristobal.
Overnight in San Cristobal de las Casas, Chiapas.
San Cristobal de las Casas – San Juan Chamula - Zinacatan – San Cristobal de las Casas
9. Day: In the morning, you will visit the Maya villages San Juan Chamula and San Lorenzo Zinacatan, where the inhabitants preserved their own Religion and lifestyle. Drive back to San Cristobal. Free time for the rest of the Day.
Agua Azul – Palenque (189 km)
10. Day: Today the journey goes on along the famous Pan-American road until the diversion to Ocosingo, a paved side street, leading along a picturesque transition zone from the highland to the tropical rainforest of Chiapas. You will visit the waterfalls of Agua Azul, one of the most beautiful waterfalls of the world, extending on a length of 7,5 km. After a stay and the possibility to bath, the trip goes on to Palenque.
Overnight in Palenque, Chiapas.
Palenque – Edzna – Campeche (360 km)
11. Day: In the morning drive to the excavation site of Palenque in the middle of the Jungle called Lacandona. Palenque is part of the most important excavation sites of the Maya culture. After a detailed sightseeing, the trip goes on direction Campeche. On the way, you will visit the archeological site Edzna, before you will reach your Hotel at the center of Campeche.
Overnight in Campeche.
Campeche – Uxmal – Merida (245 km)
12. Day: In the morning, you will visit Campeche, a city with many interesting forts, since the times of the Spanish conquerors the city where often attacked by Pirates. Drive on to Uxmal on a route, which leads to many picturesque villages. After a few stops in the villages, you will reach Uxmal. Uxmal is like Palenque one of the most important and beautiful Maya sites. After the sightseeing tour drive to Merida, the capital of the Peninsula Yucatan.
Overnight in Merida.
Merida – Chichen Itza – Tulum – Cancun (309 km)
13. Day: In the early morning sightseeing of the colonial old city of Merida with its regional museum, where many interesting findings of the Maya sites of the state Yucatan are located. Afterwards drive to Chichen Itza, which recently where declared one of the new world miracles. After a detailed sightseeing of Chichen Itza, drive to the excavation sites of Tulum, the only Maya site directly on the sea. Drive to the Hotel of your choice or transfer to the airport of Cancun.
Good middle class and typical Hotels during the Tour
Private Guide and private vehicle with A/C
All entrance Fee’s
24/7 emergency contact
Meals not mentioned
Tips for guide and driver